Azure Database for PostgreSQL is a PostgreSQL Community Version (available under the GPLv2 license) database engine based , relational database service in the Microsoft cloud.
In addition, the following benefits are provided by Azure PostgresSQL Database :
- Compared to on-site infrastructure, high flexibility is built-in. To make sure your applications are always available, there is no additional configuration, replication, or cost required.
- Simple and versatile pricing. Based on a selected pricing tier option that includes software patching, automatic backups, monitoring, and protection, you have predictable results.
- Scale up or down, within seconds, as needed. To ensure that you adjust your service to fit usage, you can scale measurement or storage independently as required.
- Security and compliance of the Enterprise-grade to protect sensitive data at rest and in motion. This security covers disk-based data encryption and SSL encryption between server and client communication.
- Adjustable automatic backups for up to 35 days and point-in-time-restore.
Azure PostgreSQL Database delivers:
- High availability built-in.
- Using continuous backups and point-in-time-restore data protection for up to 35 days.
- Automated maintenance to keep the service stable and up to date with the underlying hardware, operating system and database engine.
- Predictable performance, using inclusive pricing for pay-as-you-go.
- Scaling with elastic in seconds.
- in order to secure confidential data at rest and in motion, enterprise grade protection and industry-leading enforcement.
- Monitoring and automation for large scale implementations to simplify control and monitoring.
- Industry-leading expertise with assistance.
There is almost no administration needed for these capabilities, and all are given at no extra cost. Instead of allocating precious time and resources to managing virtual machines and infrastructure, they allow you to concentrate on rapid application creation and accelerating your time to market. Moreover, with the open-source tools and platform of your choosing, you will continue to build your application to execute with the speed and productivity your company needs, all without having to learn new skills.
Models of Deployment
The PostgreSQL Community Version Azure database for PostgreSQL is available in three deployment modes:
- Single Server
- Flexible Server (Preview)
- Hyperscale (Citus)
Azure Database for PostgreSQL – Single Server
he PostgreSQL Versatile Server Azure Database is a completely managed database service designed to provide more granular control and versatility over configuration settings and database management functionality. The service usually offers more flexibility and customization based on customer requirements.
The versatile server architecture enables users to opt for high availability across different accessibility zones and within a single availability zone. With the ability to stop/start server and burstable computing tier, Versatile Server offers better cost optimization controls, suitable for workloads that do not constantly require maximum compute power.
Currently, the service supports PostgreSQL 11 and 12 community versions, with plans to introduce newer versions shortly. Currently in public preview, the service is available today in a wide range of Azure regions.
The most appropriate for versatile servers are
- Developments in software that need greater control and customization.
- Cost management controls with server stop/start functionality.
- Redundant High Availability Region
- Maintenance windows handled
The choice for Hyperscale (Citus) horizontally scales queries using sharding across multiple machines. For faster responses to massive datasets, the database engine parallelizes incoming SQL queries through these servers. It serves applications requiring greater scale and efficiency, typically workloads that are approaching or already exceeding 100 GB of information.
The deployment option for Hyperscale (Citus) delivers:
- Horizontal scaling via sharding across multiple machines
- Query parallelization for faster reactions on large datasets across these servers
- Excellent support for multi-tenant applications, organizational analytics in real time, and transactional workloads with high throughput
Applications designed for PostgreSQL can run Hyperscale (Citus) distributed queries with standard link libraries and minimal modifications.