In this tutorial guide, you will find the latest azure active directory interview questions and answers, Azure Identity Interview Questions, Azure identity interview questions, and answers for Azure administrator, Azure architect, and Azure cloud engineers. This interview preparation guide would be useful for freshers and 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10+ years experienced professionals. I would also take you through real time scenarios based interview questions popular in the real world.
- 1 What is the Azure active directory?
- 2 What is identity in the Azure active directory?
- 3 What is the tenant in the azure ad?
- 4 What do you mean by the guest user in azure ad
- 5 What do you mean by security groups in azure ad?
- 6 How to create a user in the azure active directory?
- 7 How to remove a user from azure ad?
- 8 What is self-service password reset (SSPR) in azure ad?
- 9 What is multi-factor authentication in the azure active directory?
- 10 How to enable MFA in using the Azure portal?
- 11 What is dynamic groups in azure ad?
- 12 What is Conditional Access in Azure Active Directory?
- 13 Can users outside the organization access the azure resources?
- 14 What is risk detection in the azure?
- 15 What are the different Azure AD licenses?
- 16 What are the features of Azure AD Free License?
- 17 What are the main features of Azure Active Directory Premium P1?
- 18 What are the main features of Azure Active Directory Premium P2?
- 19 Do you think Azure AD is Free?
- 20 How to connect to azure active through PowerShell?
- 21 What is azure ad connect in Azure Active Directory?
- 22 What is tenant id in Azure Active Directory?
- 23 Assume that you work as Azure Administrator for Azurelib.com. You have been asked to add 1000 users to the azure active directory. How can you do it in an efficient way?
- 24 Assume that you work as Azure Administrator for Azurelib.com. You have been asked to set the default password for all the new users added to the Active Directory. Can you set the default password for the first time user in azure ad?
- 25 What is the default domain for the azure ad tenant?
- 26 How would you compare External Identities solutions?
- 27 Final Thoughts
What is the Azure active directory?
Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) is basically an identity and access management service provided the Microsoft Azure. It is the extension of the Microsoft active directory. It helps users, employees to seamlessly access the various resources as per their role with just one sign-on. It can be integrated with a huge number of external services and resources like SaaS applications and other Microsoft products like Office 365, Dynamics 365, etc.
What is identity in the Azure active directory?
Identity in the azure ad represents a thing or something that can be authenticated by some means. It can represent a user having a unique username and password associated with it for authentication. It’s not always just the user, sometimes we also want to authenticate applications or servers, they can also be treated as the identity in the azure ad. They can be authenticated using certificates or secret keys.
What is the tenant in the azure ad?
A dedicated and trusted instance of Azure AD that’s automatically created when your organization signs up for a Microsoft cloud service subscription, such as Microsoft Azure, Microsoft Intune, or Microsoft 365. An Azure tenant represents a single organization.
What do you mean by the guest user in azure ad
In an organization sometimes you want a few external organization users to collaborate with your applications and servers to perform certain operations. In those cases to authenticate those users and provide B2B collaboration guest user is used. You can invite the external/third party user by creating the Guest user for them. Once your works get done, you can remove the same.
What do you mean by security groups in azure ad?
You can create security groups in azure ad to logically separate the set of users based on their roles, responsibility, access permissions. Once a group has been created, multiple users can be added or remove from it.
How to create a user in the azure active directory?
For creating the user you need to have admin permission to add the user. Go to the azure ad in the Azure portal. Go to create user, provide name, email, and other information.
– 125+ Interview questions
– 8 hrs long Pre- recorded video course
– Basic Interview Questions with video explanation
– Tough Interview Questions with video explanation
– Scenario based real world Questions with video explanation
– Practical/Machine/Written Test Interview Q&A
– Azure Architect Level Interview Questions
– Cheat sheets
– Life time access
– Continuous New Question Additions
How to remove a user from azure ad?
Go to the azure ad in the Azure portal. Open the group from which users need to be removed. You will see a list of users available. Search for the user to delete, select and click remove user.
What is self-service password reset (SSPR) in azure ad?
The azure ad provides a seamless way for password reset for its user. You don’t need any admin or network team help for password resetting. or unlocking the account. This has reduced a lot of burden on the IT helpdesk team of any organization.
What is multi-factor authentication in the azure active directory?
Multi-factor authentication is two-step verification process. First is something you know (like a password or key) and second is something you possess (like OTP or biometric authentication such as a fingerprint). These two step verification has become the new norm and has strengthened the user account immensely.
How to enable MFA in using the Azure portal?
For MFA you need to have an azure active directory premium license. An admin can go to the conditional access screen from there you can enable the MFA for the user as per the business need.
What is dynamic groups in azure ad?
As the name suggests dynamic groups are dynamic in nature, and users from them will be automatically added and remove from groups. Automatically rule will be run on the user attribute, if that condition satisfies user will be kept in the group otherwise removed.
What is Conditional Access in Azure Active Directory?
Conditional Access policies at their simplest are if-then statements, if a user wants to access a resource, then they must complete an action. Example: A payroll manager wants to access the payroll application and is required to perform multi-factor authentication to access it.
Can users outside the organization access the azure resources?
Yes, outside users can access the azure resources by inviting them as a guest users under B2B collaboration.
What is risk detection in the azure?
Identifying the suspicious activity against the user account is termed risk detection in azure. It’s a part of azure identity protection.
What are the different Azure AD licenses?
- Azure Active Directory Free
- Azure Active Directory Premium P1
- Azure Active Directory Premium P2
- “Pay as you go” feature licenses
What are the features of Azure AD Free License?
- Users and Group Management
- Sync on-premises identities to azure ad
- Password self service
- Single sign-on (Only for cloud services)
What are the main features of Azure Active Directory Premium P1?
- All the features of Free tire
- Hybrid user single sign on (on-premises and cloud both)
- Self service password for on-premises user as well
- Dynamic group management
- Microsoft Identity Manager
What are the main features of Azure Active Directory Premium P2?
- All the features of free tire and P1
- Azure AD Identity Protection
- Risk-based conditional access (like not allow user to login from certain low secure locations)
- Provide Just in time access
Do you think Azure AD is Free?
All the licenses user of Microsoft Online business service like Microsoft 365, Microsoft Azure gets the Azure AD free features by default. However, there are certain extra features of azure ad you can get by upgrading to the paid version of the azure ad.
How to connect to azure active through PowerShell?
You need to have permission to connect to the azure ad. Once you have you use below command to connect to the azure ad.
What is azure ad connect in Azure Active Directory?
Microsoft azure ad connect is the tool needed for connecting the on-premises identity infrastructure to azure ad. Using the azure ad connect helps the tenant to connect to local directories.
What is tenant id in Azure Active Directory?
In the azure active directory, we have tenants i.e. the organization representation. Every tenant is assigned a unique id known as tenant id.
Assume that you work as Azure Administrator for Azurelib.com. You have been asked to add 1000 users to the azure active directory. How can you do it in an efficient way?
In the azure ad we have a bulk user creation facility available. I create the user in bulk by putting the user in CSV file and upload the same csv file using the bulk user creation functionality.
Assume that you work as Azure Administrator for Azurelib.com. You have been asked to set the default password for all the new users added to the Active Directory. Can you set the default password for the first time user in azure ad?
Yes, you can set the default login password for the user.
What is the default domain for the azure ad tenant?
Default domain is onmicrosoft.com you can change it by providing the custom domain.
How would you compare External Identities solutions?
|External user collaboration (B2B)||Access to consumer/customer-facing apps (B2C)|
|Primary scenario||Collaboration using Microsoft applications (Microsoft 365, Teams, etc.) or your own applications (SaaS apps, custom-developed apps, etc.).||Identity and access management for modern SaaS or custom-developed applications (not first-party Microsoft apps).|
|Intended for||Collaborating with business partners from external organizations like suppliers, partners, vendors. Users appear as guest users in your directory. These users may or may not have managed IT.||Customers of your product. These users are managed in a separate Azure AD directory.|
Microsoft Azure Active Directory Official Documentation Link
In this blog, I have tried to collected a couple of Azure Identity and Azure active directory interview questions and answers. This is one of the very important guides for freshers and experienced professional Azure devops and administrator. In this list of interview preparation guide my main focus was to cover all the question which is frequently and mostly asked on Azure active directory.
Please share your suggestions and feedback and you can ask your question and update this guide based on your interview experience.
Deepak Goyal is certified Azure Cloud Solution Architect. He is having around decade and half experience in designing, developing and managing enterprise cloud solutions. He is also Big data certified professional and passionate cloud advocate.